|Top: J. Crew (in navy and mint), Skirt: Anne Taylor Loft (so so old, but one of my faves),|
Chambray Shirt: Banana Republic last year, Shoes: Tory Burch, Nails: Julep Brandt
The other day, I wore this outfit to work. I got so many compliments that I felt it deserved to have it's picture taken. The sequin tank is a purchase I made from J.Crew online a few weeks ago when they were doing a sale on sale (you know, an extra % off sale). I had seen it in the store, thought about it, obsessed over it (remember what I was talking about yesterday?) put 95 outfits together with it... then when it was an additional off, I finally made my purchase. I think I got it for about $25.
For some reason, I was waiting for something special to come up that I would wear it to. Who am I kidding? I am married to a law student. Going to lunch is special. I had already dreamed up this outfit long before I ever purchased the top, and I needed a pick me up one day, so I thought a little sparkle would make me feel better. And it did.
I believe in sequins for day 110%. For those of you not daring enough to try it, here are a few tips to pull it off and keep it not too nightclub:
1. Keep it simple: jewelry should be kept to a minimum as should other pieces in your outfit. The sequins are the focal point. I would even keep your make up super simple and light.
2. Mix with a pattern: Something about adding sequins with a pattern dresses it down some. Try pattern pants or top (depending on your sequinned item). A sequinned skirt with a plaid button down would be super cute, and the plaid would take the sequins down a notch.
3. Try a top knot: Again, simple is key. A top knot gives it that messy without a care look. Of course, having curly hair, a top knot is my best friend.
4. Pair with denim: Denim can make the sequins more day appropriate as well. When it cools off a bit, I can't wait to wear this top over my chambray shirt (or a long sleeve t-shirt) and some colored denim (pink or red...if I ever purchase red jeans)
5. Go neutral: If your sequins are bright, I would keep all your other colors fairly neutral- whites, blacks, browns...
Here are a few other great sequinned pieces for day
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
(HInt: #4- pair with a black blazer, black tights and maybe some riding boots)